Moonlight Beach, well, technically Moonlight State Beach, is a state beach (surprise) in Encinitas, California – but it is managed by the city.
You can find Moonlight, by exiting I5 at Encinitas Blvd, and driving west until you hit the Pacific Ocean (about 1 mile). You can find maps and tourist information here: Encinitas Travel Books
Please visit the Moonlight Beach Facebook page.
For locals, Moonlight is the secret beach of North San Diego County. It is big enough to hold events like surfing contests, but not so big that it can cater to large crowds like at Pacific Beach in San Diego.
It is popular
with both tourists, the annual Woody Car Meet,
volleyball players (3 courts)
and the typical local, funky resident – below, with Moonlight Beach in the distance, singing the good-bye song to the Surfing Madonna. Yep, only in Encinitas.
It is one of the few beaches that has a bonfire pit. Oh, did I mention funky locals?
Some say that Moonlight Beach got its name because it is one of the few beaches in North County that has level (car) access, and not the 100’+ sand bluffs that make most beaches, like Beacon’s Beach, Stone Steps and Grandview, only accessible via a long steep stairway.
Legend has it that the level access was used by moonshiners to deliver their goods under the cover of night… thus, Moonlight Beach. Regardless, you can still find quite an array of alcoholic beverages on those hot summer days.
Here are some recent postings about Moonlight Beach:
- Time Magazine: What Are The Top Rated Sunscreens? Plus FDA Sun Protection Tips On Protecting Yourself
- 7 Gadgets To Stay Cool At The Beach: Protect Your Kids, Yourself, Your Surf Gear & Belongings
- Sunset at Moonlight Beach
- Encinitas California Stormy Day
- Drum Circle at Moonlight Beach
- Hold It. Hold It… New Place To Pee At Moonlight Coming Soon.
- Get your motor running… Head out on the Highway (101)… Classic Cars Come To Encinitas
- Opah – what? Oprah? No. Oompah? No. It Is The… Opah
- Moonlight Beach – Encinitas – Part 2 (More Videos)
- Vibram FiveFingers Shoes – The Perfect Beach Shoe?
Many tourists visit Encinitas and they buy a T shirt. You can buy an Encinitas t-shirt so you let the tourists know you were here first.
There are more Moonlight Beach videos here.
Visit the Moonlight Beach Facebook page.
Visit the other local Encinitas and Leucadia beaches: