Moonlight Beach, well, technically Moonlight State Beach, is a state beach (surprise) in Encinitas, California – but it is managed by the city.
Please visit the Moonlight Beach Facebook page.
For locals, Moonlight is the secret beach of North San Diego County. It is big enough to hold events like surfing contests, but not so big that it can cater to large crowds like at Pacific Beach in San Diego.
It is popular
volleyball players (3 courts)
and the typical local, funky resident – below, with Moonlight Beach in the distance, singing the good-bye song to the Surfing Madonna. Yep, only in Encinitas.
Legend has it that the level access was used by moonshiners to deliver their goods under the cover of night… thus, Moonlight Beach. Regardless, you can still find quite an array of alcoholic beverages on those hot summer days.
At the edge of a continent, along the Southern California coastline, sits a town, Encinitas, that mixes “California Cool” with “California Hip.” When people outside of San Diego County envision a “real” Southern California town, they are seeing Encinitas. With an area of less than 20 square miles, Encinitas is the last hope and sanctuary for many “locals” who remember the avocado farms, funky Leucadia, surfing Swamis all alone and a friendly laid back attitude, dude.
One more quick fact (or two) about Encinitas weather, since you asked… Temperature seldom falls below 40° or exceeds 85°. Average annual high temperature is 72 degrees. Yearly rainfall is 9-11 inches. Yeah, paradise in America.
What Does The City of Encinitas Say?
Located along six miles of Pacific coastline in northern San Diego County, Encinitas has an approximate population of 60,000+ and is characterized by coastal beaches, cliffs, flat-topped coastal areas, steep mesa bluffs and rolling hills. Our city was incorporated in 1986, drawing together the communities of New Encinitas, Old Encinitas, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Olivenhain and Leucadia.
There is a significant flower growing industry in the City and many people claim that Encinitas is the Flower Growing Capital. As the City has developed, it has grown up around the pre-existing flower growers. Quail Botanical Gardens is a beautiful oasis to visit with an Amazon Rainforest and the largest display of bamboo in the world. The gardens of the Self Realization Center are beautiful and sit overlooking the ocean in a serene garden-like setting.
Thanks to Kylie Reiter for the photo.
Golf enthusiasts will enjoy our new Encinitas Ranch Golf Course, a championship 18 hole par 72 course with panoramic ocean views. This public facility has five tees available and can be enjoyed by golfers of all abilities.
The beaches in Encinitas are outstanding. There are many stretches of beach that lie between Cardiff-by-the-Sea and La Costa. The surfing is unbeatable and many surf contests are held throughout the year in Encinitas.
There Is A Downtown?
Downtown 101 is a coastal shopping district over 100 years old featuring historic architecture, quaint shops, sidewalk cafes, and restaurants framed by beautiful flower baskets. The organization Downtown Encinitas Merchants Association (DEMA) is a great resource for information on business in Encinitas.
Even Our Lagoons Are Great!
This place called Encinitas sits on the coastline of the Pacific Ocean and is embraced by the Batiquitos Lagoon to the north and the San Elijo Lagoon to the south. The San Elijo Lagoon Reserve is the largest coastal wetland in San Diego County and is home to nearly 300 different bird species throughout the year.
The Encinitas Chamber of Commerce is an informational site promoting Encinitas. The center directs visitors to local landmarks, restaurants, lodging and provides information on area demographics. Maps, publications, brochures, and souvenirs are available, as well as discounted tickets to Legoland, Wild Animal Park, and the San Diego Zoo.
History of Encinitas
Just What Makes Up Encinitas?
The City of Encinitas is now made up of five communities that take pride in their own distinct personalities. “Historic (Old) Encinitas” fills the Highway 101 Corridor that parallels the beautiful beaches and ocean. “New Encinitas” centers on El Camino Real (“The Kings Highway” founded by the early missionaries from Spain). “Cardiff-by-the-Sea” is made up of quaint homes dotting the hillsides overlooking the sea. “Leucadia” is famous for its giant eucalyptus trees that line the main thoroughfare on the Coast Highway. “Olivenhain” (which means “olive grove” in German) boasts plenty of open horse country, pastures, and a rural way of life.
Hey, We Are A ‘Big City’ Too
Paris has the Eiffel Tower, London has their bridge, but we have the Surfing Madonna…
Here are some recent postings about Moonlight Beach:
- Moonlight Beach Encinitas Part 2 (More Videos)
- 1-13-2016 Update Another Snake: Venomous Yellow-Bellied Sea Snakes Found South Of LA & Near Silver Strand
- 7 Gadgets To Stay Cool At The Beach: Protect Your Kids, Yourself, Your Surf Gear & Belongings
- A View From Beacons Beach
- Aerial Photo of Moonlight Beach Circa 1932: Where Were You?
- Aerial Shot of Moonlight Beach During Construction
- Beach Front Property For About $50?
- Best Movie Ever? Gone With The Wind, Titanic, Avatar, Star Wars Nope. Here It Is.
- Brown Widow vs. Black Widow Spiders: What You Need To Know
- Can You Name What This Building Is Now?
- Catalina Island View From Beacons Beach
- Could a Tsunami Hit Southern California (Encinitas)?
- Divers It’s Whats For Lunch. Watch A Great White Breach A Shark Safety’ Cage (With A Diver Inside)
- Drum circle at Moonlight Beach
- Encinitas Sand Replenishment Project Good News / Really Good News / Bad News / Really Bad News?
- For North County Visitors: This Is How Big Are Waves Are (EVERYDAY)
- Gray Whale Migration Aerial View
- Great White Shark Expert If you’re a surfer early morning surfs and late afternoon surfs I’d put that aside for the next two months
- Heal The Bay Beach Quality Scores How Does Encinitas Rank?
- How To Do The Stingray Shuffle
- In Aquatic News Swim Peacefully with Thousands of Jellyfish
- In Guacapocalyptic News: Is It The Guacapocalypse? (No Guac? Say It Ain’t So)
- Keep Leucadia Funky? Alas, No More
- Moonlight State Beach Named Top San Diego Beach For Families
- Mr. Sandman, Tell Me A Dream
- Opah what? Oprah? No. Oompah? No. It Is The Opah.
- Pokemon Characters They’re Everywhere Now Under The Sea?
- San Diego Isn’t Even In Top 15 For Traffic Congestion???
- Scientists Have Found A Weird, Glowing Purple Blob On The Ocean Floor Rare Pokemon GO Discovery
- Something Very Bad In Our Waters? La Jolla Cove Has Bacterial Infections & Superbug MRSA
- Stingray Sting Treatment Wounds Can Be Excruciatingly Painful (Don’t Pee On The Sting)
- Sunset at Moonlight Beach
- Surfing Madonna Resurrected?
- Tales From Top Of The Food Chain: Day Two The Hammerhead Shark
- The 411 On The 619 (Area Code Change Coming Again?)
- The Average San Diegan Household Spends How Much A Month Eating Out? Really?
- The Bait? On The Fishing Hook? The Leopard Shark? The Great White? Or The Fisherman?
- The Darkside Of Cottonwood Creek (Why To Stay Out Of The Ocean When It Rains)
- The Darkside Of Del Mar Beaches (Why To Stay Out Of The Ocean When It Rains)
- The Four R’s: Reading, Riting, Rithmetic and Roga. Encinitas Union School District Could Spend $800k (Update Now $400k) On Yoga.
- The Incredible Journey,So Cal Style. Dog Lost At Sea Swims To Is and Found 5 Weeks Later!
- Time Magazine: What Are The Top Rated Sunscreens? Plus FDA Sun Protection Tips
- Two Videos: 1) OB Pier Closed During High Tide And, 2) Dolphins And Whales Spotted Off San Diego Coast
- Ultimate Beach Umbrella Amazon Gold Deal Today Only
- Vibram FiveFingers Shoes The Perfect Beach Shoe?
- What Are These Weird Alien-Like Creatures On The Beach?
- Wired Magazine: Historical Hurricane Paths Approaching San Diego
Many tourists visit Encinitas and they buy a T shirt. You can buy an Encinitas t-shirt so you let the tourists know you were here first.
There are more Moonlight Beach videos here.
Visit the Moonlight Beach Facebook page.
Visit the other local Encinitas and Leucadia beaches: